Living with the Truth Stranger than Fiction This Is Not About What You Think Milligan and Murphy Making Sense

Sunday 3 July 2016

#654


Butchers



(in memoriam D.T.)

During the day
the town talks for itself
but at night it needs a voice
to cut open the darkness
and let the truth pour out:
which is why but few are poets
when all eat meat!


21 July 1989
  
 
The D.T. is Dylan Thomas. To be honest I know very little about him other than what I’ve picked up from documentaries and dramatisations. He always struck me as a guy who was working his way towards legendom. Of course it’s hard to become a legend without also becoming a bit of a caricature. At the time I wrote this I’d probably seen the film adaptation of Under Milk Wood once and I don’t recall enjoying it that much. I knew 'Do not go gentle into that good night' and ‘A Grief Ago’ but that was about it. So it’s odd I suppose that I’d associate this little poem with Thomas.

I’ve always liked the expression “under cover of darkness”; very poetic. Like most of us I’ve done my fair share under cover of darkness. Imagine if we all knew what was going on, how disillusioned we would be.

No comments:

Ping services